Sunday, April 10, 2011

CASEing Kelley Eubanks

As soon as I saw this card in the new issue of Papercrafts, I knew I had to CASE it. It's not often I want to actually copy a card I see, but Kelley Eubanks spoke to me with her fun, crisp, clean-and-simple, one-layer card. I just couldn't think of any way to improve upon it!


I started with the butterfly from Kind Thoughts (SU), a sentiment from Hero Arts, and three rhinestones. Oh I'm so happy!


Then, I decided to try a more vintage image from Letters from Friends (SU) and a lighter sentiment from Clear and Simple Stamps. I'm so happy again!!!!


On a design note, I deliberately left the bottom corners square on the second card...the image didn't seem to invite rounded corners, while the butterfly certainly did.

Kelley is an amazing CAS stamper, and I thank her for giving us this fabulously flexible layout (I never would have thought to put bling underneath like that) and a fresh color combination. If you get a chance this week, play around with her idea. It's truly fabulous, and you can take it in so many different directions.

Happy Monday, everyone!

Supplies
stamps: SU, Hero Arts, Clear and Simple Stamps
ink: SU real red, Memento black
paper: Mark's Finest Papers
accessories: rhinestones, corner rounder

15 comments:

  1. Kelly's card is wonderful! And, your cards are pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you have done Susan. The colours are particularly striking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the scrapbooking world when we "copy" a layout we call it scraplifting...I keep seeing that someone is "CASEing" a card. Does that actually stand for something..or how did it come about...inquiring minds want to know!

    Love your take on her card. You always get the cleanest images when you stamp in colors...mine are never that crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all three. Thanks for sharing the design. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CASE = Copy And Share/Steal Everything, used when your card looks just like someone else's.

    Often used as a verb, to CASE

    When you CASE a card, you should always acknowledge the original. It's just good manners. I try to acknowledge sources of inspiration even when my card looks fairly different from the original when my card couldn't have happened without their card.

    My momma raised me right.

    With super-CAS cards, it's hard to be original. I've never seen the three blings below the sentiment like Kelly's card. It's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all three also. I hope to CASE soon! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wondered what 'to case' meant - thanks for the explanation. I may have to try this as well, yours are just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. FAB cards . . . can quite understand why you wanted to CASE 'em. Thanks for the explanation of the abbreviation . . . I can never remember then! Will try harder in future!
    Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great clean & simple design. The little bit of bling completes the design.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey.... Karen Baker told me about your post!! Thank you so much for the compliments! I am honored that you CASE'd my card! :) And I am thrilled to be able to follow your blog now! You have always been so supportive and complimentary of my work on SCS. I don't post anything on there anymore... just not enough time in the day to do everything! Thank you again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've noticed that when you're happy, Susan, we're happy -- as we get to look at fabulous creations! Great CASEs of a great original.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is your second post in a row that made me say, “What a coincidence!” Just last night I was flipping through my Paper Crafts magazine again and stopped at Kelley’s motorcycle card, thinking how much it reminded me of you and wondering if you’d seen it. This morning I found you CASEing it!

    You commented about the bling placement. I also find myself saying, “I never would have thought to....” (use those colors together, arrange those on a diagonal, use that stamp this way, etc.) so about a week ago I decided to compile a cheat sheet of prompts in order to make me think of new ideas. Whenever I think of a new prompt, I jot it down on a scrap of paper and eventually toss it in the craft room. The other day I wrote: make a border or a shape by repeatedly stamping a small image in a row or other pattern. The very next morning I find your Saturday post with the small medallions all in a row. Don’tcha love coincidences?

    I’m definitely going to do my own CASE of Kelley’s card, and to find a fun little stamp to make some colorful rows! Thanks for including your design notes – they always make me think. Plus, I guess I need a prompt for corners: to round or not to round.

    Happy Monday to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really really like and admire Kelley and her work. I really really like and admire you and your work. I'd say this was a successful case!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!