Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Inspired by Lindsay Amrhein and a Link to a Lattice Tutorial

This adorable kraft-base card by Lindsay Amrhein appears in the latest issue of Card Creations, which is my favorite issue EVER. It's loaded with tons of clean and simple inspiration.

Lindsay paper pieced her sweet bowl of cherries using turquoise and red designer papers, and I loved those colors against the kraft.


I kept the colors (though my turquoise is a lighter aqua) and rather than piecing, I opted for the much easier punching. At first, I was going to punch circles for the flower centers, but then I remembered these giant brads, so I used them instead. The three brads form a visual triangle around the sentiment, and the top large flower and bottom small flower are popped up on dimensionals. Lindsay rounded all four corners, which makes sense given the curves of her focal point, but I felt the pointy flowers on my version needed at least some pointy corners. Rounding the opposite corners gives a nice dynamic feel to an otherwise static design.



Scor-Pal Tutorial: For those of you who asked for a tutorial on yesterday's embossing, please thank blog reader Susan who linked to an awesome Gina K tutorial on the subject. Gina's tutorial shows a much tighter lattice than the one on my baby card, for which the lines were scored at one-inch intervals. I used a Scor-Pal (12") rather than the smaller Scor-Buddy. Also, my card is one layer, so I began with a 4.25" x 11" card base and scored at 3.5 and 5.5 inches...the 5.5" score was the fold for the card, and the 3.5" score, which is covered by ribbon on my card, gave me a guide for scoring the lattice on the lower two-thirds of the card.

For those of you who aren't using your Scor-Pal for more than folding cards, DON'T WORRY. That's what I use it for 99% of the time, too. It's worth every penny even if that's all you ever do with it!

Supplies
stamps: Papertrey Ink's Green Thumb
paper: Mark's Finest Kraft, PTI's polka dot paper
ink: Memento
accessories: brads, dimensionals, Corner Chomper

8 comments:

  1. I am in love with the Card Creations too...the pages are already well warn too. I love Kelly Eubanks cards! I am in the magazine with one of those terrible pins :) I can honestly say I've only made two cards with them. They scare me too. Everytime you make a comment about them I have a laugh! Take care and thank you for all your wonderful inspiration. Love the colors on today's card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we have to go to a nearby town today that has a stamping store that I've always wanted to go to so maybe I'll have to pick up this new issue. You aren't the only blogger that's been talking about it being a fab issue. Love your card - you've sure been kicking it up lately with bling, ribbon, and punched out shapes. I can't think of a time when I don't use my Scor Pal when I stamp. What a great invention - right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cards today; anytime I get an idea to use kraft paper I'm happy. My Scor-Pal is the MS version, from Michael's with a 50% off coupon. I've used it to make envelopes, too, and I love that for those fatter cards (big ribbon) you don't want to smoosh into a regular envelope. A Jennifer McGuire hint I picked up is to use the embossing tool with metal point to score the cards instead of the bone folder it comes with, and I get much cleaner, deeper lines. Lastly, I've been through my Card Creations mag 10 times and find something new every time! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these types of posts. Teaches me how to look at a design and use what I have instead of rush out and add more to my stash. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Digging those giant brads, Susan. Perfect way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Lindsay's work and your interpretation from her card is spot on!! Love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both cards are great and I need to play more with my Kraft paper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colours and simplicity of your card! Thanks for the link to the tutorial, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!