Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Painting Fabric

About a month ago, I experimented once again with painting muslin. This time, I used shimmery Twinkling H2O paints. The process was simple: put the fabric on a waterproof surface, paint it with plain water to wet, then paint with the paint and let dry. I didn't get fancy with the colors or try blending...just wanted to see if the shimmer would show on fabric.

It does, but not hugely. In the future, I might add the Tattered Angels glimmer mist over the Twinkling H2Os.

Here's the card I've made with the painted fabric. I love the subtle texture of the fabric with the smooth white card stock, and the blue is just so pretty!



The white-on-white frame allows the blue fabric to take center stage.



For those of you who don't read the comments on my posts, I wanted to share Joan's story from the colander post. It's adorable.

"My Polish grandmother came over on the boat through Ellis island and got a job as a housekeeper. One of her tasks was to buy a colander. Since she didn't know the english word, she went to the store and asked for a "Macaroni stop, Water go". So your post brought a smile to me today."

Joan brought a smile to me with this, and I wanted to share!

Supplies
stamps: SU
ink: Memento gray flannel
paper: PTI white
accessories: scor-tape, dimensionals, Martha Stewart butterfly punches, white muslin, Twinkling H20 paint, large watercolor brush, rhinestones, glue pen




14 comments:

  1. The fabric is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the technique. Joan's story is really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome experiment and sweet story...I don't get around every so I'm glad you shared it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! The blue just jumps out at you. The frame really sets the blue and the butterflies off. How creative you are! I'd never think to try this. I'm glad you do the inventing and exploring for all the rest of us!
    Joan's story is so sweet. What a lovely memory for her. Thanks for the smile, Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful, love the blue fabric!

    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous and I love the sentiment. I think I may need to try painting on fabric!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm in love with your card, Susan! Blue and white - my favourite colour combination! Twinkling H2Os - my favourite paints! Butterflies - one of my favourite images! And a great sentiment to boot! I'll be CASEing it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the blue painting & butterflies on this card, very pretty. also, i enjoyed joan's story too, it reminded me of my slovak baba. your blog is so refreshing. while i love your cards, i equally enjoy your insights & stories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Simply beautiful! I love the painted fabric. Thanks for the close up shot you can really see the texture! It's stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's breath-taking, Susan! Thanks for sharing Joan's story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a technique that's simple enough to appeal to me. I'll give it a go one of these days. I enjoyed Joan's story. It reminded me of traveling in Europe many years ago with my sister. We wanted to "live, work and play" like the Irish do, so got a flat and found jobs in an old-folks residence for part of our extended travel time. The first day I was told to "collect the laundry," so I went around to all my ladies (I had the Alzheimer's group) and picked up their dirty laundry. Come to find out, they meant I was to go over to the facility's laundry service and get the clean clothes. You can imagine what a time I had getting my ladies to claim what was theirs when I had to go back around and deliver their dirty clothes to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice card! I like the texture of the muslin and the variation of the blues. Great idea to add glimmer mist for more sparkle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the effect of the Twk H 2 O's on the fabric. Thanks for sharing!! I am going to try this!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!