Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Classic CAS Layout: Most Favoritest Ever



This is the second post for today. Please scroll down to see an announcement about comments.



If you go back to the very first post on this blog, nearly four years ago, you'll see this basic layout...a line of three items on roughly the 1/3 line from the top of the card (rule of thirds) and a sentiment underneath to provide a little ground, if you will, for the trio of images.




It's hard to screw this layout up (though I have managed to blow it a few times and filed the results in the trash). Whenever you've got to whip something up fast, use this layout, and you probably won't go wrong.

I just love how my new Hero Arts background (Looped Flower Pattern) looks punched out with the 1" square punch. Remember, curves love lines...and all those curves of the image work great with the right angles of the squares and the rectangular card. I even picked a very linear and clean sentiment to go with those curves (Papertrey Ink's Birthday Basics).

Notice that the squares were not punched randomly. The two outer ones have a dot in the center, and the center square has an open space in the center. That little variation adds interest, and it's easy to do if you turn the punch upside down and center the stamped image through the hole.

And if that little tip is new to you, don't feel bad. I'd been punching for years before reading it on Splitcoast, slapping my forehead, and feeling stupid for not thinking of it myself. It's so obvious...and I never would have figured it out myself.

Anywho.

Lueyes asked about the cardinal stamp on the OLW post. It's A2541E Cardinal from Rubber Stampede. It's old...probably purchased in 2002 or 2003.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts Looped Flower Pattern, Papertrey Birthday Basics
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: SU dimensionals, 1" square punch

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for card design tips and tricks. I'll be giving this one a try. And thanks for the chuckle - I've had my own head-slapping moments and I know that there are many more in store for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a fabulous layout! LOVE your attention to detail in how you punch the squares out, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic layout! I can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I love cas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card - I love this design - so classic. Thanks for the great tip - I did not know that! Have a great 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great CAS card...just the way I like them! As for your forhead slapping moment, I've had many "dah" moments myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is great to have a "go to" layout! This one is super nice. Your card is so pretty and I did notice how you lined up the pattern in the punched squares! Hope your Holidays were Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card. I wish I could go that CAS if for no other reason than time. I'm working on it! But, so far even when I try to do a card that is more CAS than my usual it ends up being very time consuming. I love my punches and dies (and have so much money tied up in them that I HAVE to use them) so even though I came up with what to me was an extremely CAS looking card for New Years it is taking forever to put together (yes, I'm still working on them (big sigh inserted here!) partly because of all the little punched and die cut pieces. Not only does it take quite a bit of time just to do the punching and die cutting of all the pieces when making a good number of cards, but then it takes lots of time gluing all those pieces in place. And then add more time if you add something like glitter to the punched or die cut pieces.

    But, all that said, I do want to say thank you for sharing your CAS style. I've learned a lot from reading your blog and the blogs of a few other CAS cardmkers. and I can see myself slowly being converted. I find myself being drawn more to the CAS cards that I see and actually finding many of the not so CAS cards to be cluttered and not as appealing to my eye as before (And to be honest many of them just never were appealing. Layered and embellished is one thing cluttered is another.) I know I will always love the layers when they are done properly, but my goal this year is to improve my stamping skills and do more one layer cards. Thanks for all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha! You can't mess it up too much, you say? I've messed up plenty of them, but I always learn something from my mistakes. I also always learn something from your design insights. Thanks for sharing them. This card is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!