Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Memory Lapse

In yesterday's review post, I commented about the Kaleidacolor pads being hard to use with larger stamps, but I forgot about this card I made last week after my new Hero Arts background map stamp arrived.


Gay of Crafty Musings reminded me about this simple technique for using big stamps with those awkward pads in the comments of yesterday's post. (Definitely click to Gay's blog...she's a wonderfully talented stamper!)

To make this card, all I did was ink the top part of the stamp first, then rotate it 180 degrees, ink again, and then stamp. I trimmed out a strip of the whole background, popped it with dimensionals, and stamped the sentiment after inking it on the Kaleidacolor pad so its colors would continue the ones beside it on the map. If you look closely, you'll see that the top of the "l" is purple-blue, not green.

I love all the movement on the stamp generated by the lines of magnetic declination...which is weird because they clutter up the map. The contrast, however, between the colorful, cluttered, sorta visually wild image and crisp, clean, white card really works well, don't you think?

I prefer top folds on portrait-oriented cards, but when making cards for Operation Write Home, side folds allow the troops to see the card front when it's stuffed into an envelope the way that Sandy wants them stuffed.

Thanks, Gay, for reminding me about this little trick.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (map), Papertrey Ink (sentiment, Happy Trails)
ink: Kaleidacolor
paper: Papertrey Ink
accessories: dimensionals

8 comments:

  1. Great card! This reminds me that I have a small multi-colored ink pad that needs some love.
    P.S. Never thought I would see dimensional foam here. LOL ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great trick with those multicolored pads. Lovely card and I love the contrast between the calm open white and the multicolored really busy map.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo...I love how you inked up that map stamp! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great card, I love the map, it's the perfect use of rainbow pads, graphic and distinctly masculine. Raised up works well too! The sentiment couldn't be a better fit.

    You are much too kind Susan whereas I have spent many years learning from the master ...........yes! I mean you :D Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card, love maps!
    Petra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the map stamp and your card. I don't have any Kaleidacolor ink pads. I'm kinda scared of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will have to remember this trick! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good tip. I have one of those pads, but I a;ways forget about it. Maybe I'll pull it out tonight?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!