Monday, June 2, 2014

Celtic Modern Again

DON'T FORGET!!! The new One-Layer Simplicity Challenge is up on the challenge blog. Karen is our host for June, and her theme is I've Been Framed. How fun!!! I've already made one card and just need to get it photographed to share. Click on over and join the fun!

Today's card is another using my old Celtic stamps, including a really swell alphabet set. Using both the block layout and a couple of really bright colors from Hero Arts helps refresh these older stamps.


Note how these stamps prove the old design saying that straight lines love curves. The knot work is very curvy, but fits into right-angled shapes with very straight lines. The result is pleasing to the eye. Those early Irish monks knew what they were doing, although if you look at the old manuscripts, you'll see that the knots can also be very organic in shape and whimsical as well. There's a very cool lizard in the Book of Kells, for instance.

(BTW, that link is a fun introduction to the Book of Kells, if you have a few minutes to click through it.)

I just received a largish order (five sets!) of stamps from Clearly Besotted. When I opened the mailing envelope, the smell of fresh photopolymer filled the air. Ahhhhhh, what a treat!

I placed my order on May 25 and received it June 2...pretty good considering it came all the way from Great Britain. I can't wait to find the time to stamp with all this goodness!

Supplies
stamps: PSX, unknown
ink: Hero Arts fresh peach, butter bar; Memento cocoa
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: dimensionals

7 comments:

  1. Im really enjoying your cards with the Celtic stamps. Really when you look at the designs and what people are doingwith die cuts its really an extension of theceltic look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome [centered] card! I think my eyes are off can never get stuff centered. How fun with the new stamps - Stephanie sure took the stamping world with a bang! Success from the git go~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your Celtic knots. I've had a fascination with them myself since college.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is fabulous Susan! I adore your style - it's right up my street :) I do hope you enjoy your new stamps and thank you so much once again! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy your cards, I have been following you for quite some time and never commented so I wanted to know how much I appreciate your clean and simple cards

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this..
    I do wonder how this would look with only the Sentiment on a panel?? Might be difficult to "arrange" the images though :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also am enjoying your Celtic cards. I was born in Scotland so have a bit of a history here. I just returned from a trip to Ireland and one of our stops was to see the Book of Kells in theTrinity College library. A wonderful sight to behold.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!