Sunday, June 22, 2014

Mad Sponging Skilz?

Not me. If you want mad sponging skilz, skip on over to Heather Telford's blog. SHE's the Queen of Sponging. She can do things with a sponge I can only dream about.

But I can handle the basics, as displayed in these two cards that were inspired by packaging in 1,000 Bags, Tags, and Labels. In the inspiration piece, text straddled two colors. That's VERY HARD to do with two layers of card stock, so sponging a second color makes perfect sense.



I wanted very dense color on the yellow card, so I used thick and creamy VersaMagic mango chalk ink, and then stamped the stars in VersaColor poppy, which was very opaque. For the second card, though, I wanted a more translucent effect, so I used dye ink (Hero Arts Soft Pool, I think). Amazing the different effects achieved by changing the type of ink and using a lighter touch.

On another topic, we are home safe and sound after a week at the lake. I have about fifty things to do tomorrow (community-school relations meeting, rent a trumpet for Jack, take Jack to his first trumpet lesson, pick Daisy up at the kennel and the fish at a friend's house, go through the held mail, yadda, yadda), so I may or may not post tomorrow. Don't worry. We're just getting back to normal.

What is normal? I'm confused because I haven't felt anything like normal since we had kids. Does normal still exist? Or is it just a setting on the dryer?

Happy summer.

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts (first card), Gina K (second card)
ink: VersaMagic, Hero Arts
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: half pearls and rhinestones, sponge, post-it notes (for mask)

6 comments:

  1. If you find an answer to your question, please do enlighten me :)

    Glad you are all back safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normal is so subjective. At least that's my excuse. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this technique! The post it notes are a great idea too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool techniques - great cards! I don't think I know normal even with an empty nest ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me."

    Don´t know where I saw that stamp, but the sentiment surely appealed to me :O)

    Love your cards!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both of your cards! Fabulous sponging.

    Btw, I mentioned you in one of my blog posts. You can check it out here. http://erintaylor718.blogspot.com/2014/06/retrosketches-challenge-120.html?showComment=1403547050263&m=1#c4351254761638287796

    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!