Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Gettin' Punchy with Tiny Tags

I have no recollection of the name of this punch from SU. It was given to me by the magnificently generous Audrie Magno-Gordon years ago, and as with so many of my punches, I don't use it enough.

So I pulled it out and used it with another neglected supply in my craft space: baker's twine.



This card's design puts the focal point in the upper right sweet spot rather than the more usual lower right or upper left sweet spots. I like it.

Also, I used scallop-edge scissors to round the corners of the layer and card base a bit so they match the slightly rounded points on the tags. It's a subtle way to increase the unity of a card that has so very few elements to it.

The close-up photo shows more of a color difference in the bling than there is in real life, but I wanted you to see how the bling visually anchors the tags to the twine. The twine is securely taped on the back of the card so it won't move, but the tags are not adhered to the twine in any way. They are attached using dimensional tape that sticks directly to the card stock.



The key to this layout is that elements are very precisely placed and straight. Can you image how, ahem, awkward it would look if the tags were askew or the twine not perfectly level? There is simply no room on this card for the slightest bit of looseness.

So can you guess the one thing I would change about this card? Think.

Think.

Think.

Did you guess the font? That would be a yes. The whimsical font is darling...but not on this card. With all else on the card looking so precise and perfect, that font just looks out of place. I wish I'd used the tiny sans serif font from Papertrey in all caps. THAT would have belonged perfectly.

But alas, art isn't always perfect, and I'm at peace with that. Perfection would be such a bore.

(But that won't keep me from trying!)

Supplies
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey white
accessories: tiny tag punch (SU), dimensionals, baker's twine, scallop-edge scissors, rhinestones

5 comments:

  1. I think it's the jewelry tag punch and you've used it perfectly here! I used it as a lightsaber handle once. And because of that, I can never get rid of it. In case I need to make another one. Great fresh shade of green, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is perfect! Love it! Wish I bought that punch when I saw it on the sale rack for $7!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love jewelry tags. The gems at the tops of them are the perfect touch. Love how you used the tags to make a sentiment Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tags are darling and look great on the twine. I agree that a different font would probably look better, but the sentiment on the tiny tags rocks. The tiny bling is cool, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!