Monday, October 9, 2017

Sometimes a Thing Doesn't Work; Sometimes a Slightly Different Thing Does

While poking around on Pinterest, I saw several cards with gold embossing and watercolor, and felt inspired.

Sometimes, a thing doesn't work. 


Note how this gold-embossed image appears blotchy, messy, unkempt. The addition of watercolor did not help. It dried rather anemic looking. Urgh.




Sometimes, a slightly different thing does work.




After seeing how the natural, shaded holly stamp didn't work with the gold embossing, I flexed to a different set with cleaner images and a larger sentiment. Much better!




I've never figured out how to get perfectly smooth embossing, as both cards show. But this one at least looks tidy and allows the watercolor variations in shading to enhance the flowers. Those gold half-beads help, too.

If one thing doesn't work, try a slightly different thing.

You might score!

Mercy, grace, peace, and love,
Susan

Supplies
Fail Card
stamps: Hero Arts
ink: VersaMark
paper: watercolor paper, Papertrey white
accessories: Peerless Watercolors, brush, extra fine gold embossing powder, Embossing Buddy, heat gun

Win Card
stamps: Simon Says Stamp For to Us
ink: VersaMark
paper: watercolor paper, Papertrey white
accessories: Peerless Watercolors, brush, extra fine gold embossing powder, Embossing Buddy, heat gun, Prisma gold metallic marker, ruler, gold half-beads


5 comments:

  1. Your perseverance paid off nicely, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! For some reason, lately, I'm having a hard time with gold embossing powder - I've been using a Ranger brand. The gold barely seems to melt before it goes too far nda loses it's shine. So frustrating - I just changed up to a jar from Recollections and it seems to be working better for me. I've been card making for nearly 8yrs - no reason why this should suddenly be a problem unless my powder got weird from being old??? Anyway, I love both of these cards, but the larger sentiment does make a nice, bold impact!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My extra-fine gold EP is probably about 8 years old, too. I'm not sure it ever worked better than it looks on these cards. A reader emailed me to say that she likes Ranger Princess Gold, so I'm going to see about getting some of that.

      Delete
  3. Here are a few tips I've used over the years, maybe they will help you.
    Old EP will definitely give you that lumpy, grainy look. Also holding your heat gun too close or too long in one spot "overcooks" the EP and you end up with that kind of appearance.
    I have found it helpful to keep my heat gun moving in small circles as I use it, even though there are those who say not to do that. I also put a piece of foil under the paper when I am heating the powder. I guess the heat reflects on to the back of the paper which helps the powder melt faster and it helps keep the paper from curling so much. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!